Friday, July 22, 2011

Saying Goodbye

I’m not proud to say that I’ve skipped almost every single one of my cross training workouts this week --- the first week of Fall Race Training

Monday I woke up with a super upset stomach from all the deep fried fair food I ate on Sunday at the California State Fair.  I had ran 8 miles the day before so I just called it a “rest” day and did end up doing some a short strength workout in the afternoon.

Wednesday was a very rough day emotionally for me.  In hindsight I bet a good workout might have helped.  I ended up spending about a half an hour in the evening doing a strength workout while I watched some TV. 

Today … hmmm, I’ve got no good excuses for today.  None.  Zip.  Zilch.  And its early enough to change that … but I have a feeling I won’t.  I’m just not feeling it.  I did run 10 miles yesterday so I think another “rest” day is in order. 

On the flip side, I nailed two great running workouts this week.  Mile repeats at the track on Tuesday & a 10 mile run yesterday.  I plan to run my tempo run on Sunday.  I’ve got a family wedding tomorrow :)

So, why did I have such a rough week?

Well, it all started last Thursday. 

We had a vet appt for our older cat, Lucky, to recheck his thyroid.  He was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about a month ago and was put on some daily medication.  They wanted to re-check his thyroid to see if the meds were working and if they needed to adjust his dosages. 

During his check up the vet found a large mass in his intestines and decided that he wanted to take an ultrasound to check it out.  The ultrasound revealed that is was a mass growing in his intestines creating a blockage and due to the location it was inoperable.  The vet explained that it would eventually create a complete blockage in his intestine and then he would progressively get sicker.  He was already having difficulty going to the bathroom and had been becoming more and more lethargic for a few days before this vet appt. 

We brought him back home and spent the next few days spoiling him with canned food and lots of kitty treats.  And lots of loving.  And on Tuesday afternoon, after watching him try to walk and collapsing several times we knew it was time.  He was suffering; it had been several days since he had been able to go to the bathroom and he was beginning to loose control of his bladder too.  He couldn’t jump up onto the couch; he couldn’t lift himself up.  He was extremely lethargic and looked like he was in pain whenever he tried to move or walk around. 

Saying goodbye was very difficult; and the days since have been difficult as well. 

He was a very good companion and brought a lot of love and joy to my life the last 13 years. 

He will be greatly missed.



P said...

Oh, Jesse, big hugs for you! Losing a cherished pet is one of the hardest things in the world.

giraffy said...

Man, sorry about the kitty :(.

I skipped all cross training, AND a run this week. Fail.

Judy W. said...

Lucky was a sweetheart. My heart aches for you. xoxo

L.B. said...

Sorry to hear about that :( we have had to go through the same thing and it's never easy. They really do become part of the family and household.